Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Week #40 The things that matter most



Another week has passed and transfers are coming up, I cant wait to see what happens. Part of me wants to be transferred because I have had  lot of time in this area.  I love it but I think I am ready for a change, new people, new streets, new companions. 
This week was stake conference, and it was really special because President Erickson and his wife came to speak as well as the Temple president. The temple president was awesome, he shared lots scriptures and reason why we should go to the temple. He also told the following story.
There was a women and an old man. The old man had a cave full of gold, silver, jewels,and jems, basically it was a giant jackpot of treasures. He told the women that she had 8 minutes to collect all the treasure that she could but the gate would close in exactly in 8 minutes and never open again. He reminded her not to forget what is most important. The women grabbed her bag and entered the cave. She quickly shoved all the gold and jewels into the bag. And just as 8 minutes was up she ran out of the cave and the gates closed. She was so happy that she was RICH! but after the adrenaline of collecting all of the gold passed she realized she had left her baby boy inside the cave. 
After the president told this story I felt haunted. The women was so preoccupied with other things that she forgot what was the most important to her! Her own son. It made me think about my life. Am I being to preoccupied with everything else that I am forgetting what is most important?. Where are our priorities?  Are they  focused on finding true happiness?  When we put our confidence and trust in God then we will prosper. Jacob 2Ñ18'19 says ¨But before y seek for riches seek ye for the kingdom of God. And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain the riches, if ye seek them and ye will seek them for the intent to do good.¨ I love this. I know that If God is our first priority all of the other parts of our life will fall into place. Even if we have a million other things that are going on in our life we need to retain our focus on God.
 My sophomore year of high school I was taking tough classes. I had a lot of homework and never had enough time to study! I had commitments to soccer, piano friends and family. Basically, a lot of stuff to balance for a 15 year old. Normally  I saved up all my homework for Sunday night. I would be extremely stressed about studying for all my exams, finishing all my project and writing papers late Sunday night. I remember my mom sharing with me that on the Sabbath day and we should rest and remember God. Exod 20 8'10 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter...¨I decided that I needed to keep this commandment. That I needed to have a time to remember God within my busy schedule. I decided that I would not do my homework on Sundays. That I would keep that day as a day of rest. At first I was nervous that If I didn't do my homework on Sundays I would get bad grades and that the rest of my week would be more stressful. But what I found was the opposite! I ALWAYS had time to finish my homework and do all of the other things I wanted to do. I had a clear mind for all of my tests and I earned the best grades of my life that year. I know that if we put God first above all of the other things that we worry about that our lives will be smooth and that all of the other things will fall into place. We need to stop making excuses and do what we know we should do. I love the verses in Luke that state: 
57 And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, certain man said unto him, Lord, will follow thee whither soever thou goest.
58 And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of their have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
 59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord,suffer me first to go and bury my father.
 60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
 61 And another also said, Lord, will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
 62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the ploughand looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.¨Luke 957'69
We need to stop giving excuses like these people in the scriptures and always do what we can to put Christ first. 

As far as everything else in my life.  I'm crossing my fingers for a transfer next Monday. I have   a lot of time in this area so its a possibility that i get transferred but hermana pin doesn't know the area very well yet so maybe ill have to stay to teach her a little bit more. But I am just hoping for a transfer. 

Saul is getting baptized this week! Wahoo Ill send pictures next Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment