Monday, December 15, 2014

Week #47 A clear perspective on Christmas


I'm on top of the World!


 




                                             My companion goes home this week, I will miss her!





T'was the week before transfers, and all through Peru, not a missionary was safe from the thought of a move!!!! Wow it is so crazy fast the time goes by, this week was litterally just an insane blur of work. My companion is finishing her mission and we made tons of goals so that she could finish strong. We worked really hard. We taught lesson after lesson and contacted every person that looked at us. It was a really fantastic week. I felt like we were completely lost in the work, I looked up for a minute and it was already Sunday again. Even though we thought and talked a lot about what it would be like for Hermana Goulding to see her family again we worked every single hour.
 
I have almost been gone for a year now, it is 11 months I think. Its crazy that I havent seen my family or anyone in so long. With Christmas time approaching I  have feelings that are mixed. Part of me says that I miss my family and I want to be able to spend christmas with them doing things like drinking hot chocolate, reading books and watching christmas movies. But I think the greater part of me just wants to work. I am in the perfect place right now. What better way to spread the Christmas cheer than sharing the gospel and the pure love of christ. Helping people get the best gift of all which is salvation. Its so interesting here in the mission how our eternal perspective is so clear. Our purpose and our priorities are totally in focus. We need to go to church every Sunday, read the scriptures and pray every night, the easy primary answers. We also need to repent of our sins to receive a pardon. It is so clear to me as a missionary, but its interesting how in the "real world" we loose that clear eternal perspective. Even return missionaries can forget that going to church and keeping the sabbath day holy are more important than working all day. As a student last year, it was easy to forget that it is more important to read your scriptures than your school books. In the real world we are so cluttered and distracted by other things. Not that working and studying for school are bad, but we have to remember what is best. I love the talk by Elder Oaks that reminds us  of good, better, best choices. https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2007/10/good-better-best?lang=eng
 
Now that every one is on vacation and they have to worry about finales or work for a while, its time to remember Christ and his sacrafice for us. Its time to get back our eternal perspective and to not waste this break and this precious time that we have doing unimportant things. In D&C we are taught  to not be idle. Its says" Cease to be idle, cease to be uncleanñ cease to find fault one with anotherñ cease to sleep longer than needfulñ retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary arise early that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated." I know alot of people think of winter break as a time to just stay in bed all day watch christmas movies and eat christmas cookies, but I think Christmas should be more fulfilling than just that. We should be endulging ourselves in the scriptures using this time that we have to refocus and gain a clear eternal perspective before we have to go back to work and to school. To realize that there are more important things in this life. More things that we have to do. I love the short video El es la Dadva or He is the gift. It is a good reminder of what christmas is all about.  http://www.mormon.org/christmas

 Love you all! 
See you next summer!
Hermana Huish

No comments:

Post a Comment